While the namemay not sound familiar, you may celebrate a holiday he proposed back in 1872, now known as Arbor Day. Morton and his wife spent much of their lives working to advocate the importance of planting trees and conserving the forested areas of the country. On April 24th of this year, we will have an opportunity to continue the movement he started.
Our Kids: The Next Generation of Arbor Day Supporters
The way that we, as parents, choose to remember the importance of environmentally important holidays, like, will set the tone for the importance our kids attach to them. Take some time now to plan to participate in age appropriate activities and events that will help kids understand the importance of conserving existing forests and planting trees for their future and that of their children. Here are some fun ideas to consider:
- Encourage your child’s school or playgroup to participate in a drawing or arts and crafts project that emphasizes the importance of trees.
- Discuss Arbor Day at meal time and have both parents and children talk about what it means to them.
- Schedule a family outing or scout trip to a local forest and use the opportunity to examine trees and teach kids about interesting tree facts, such as how to determine the age of a tree by the growth rings.
- Learn about the different animals and birds that make their homes in trees.
- Use a treasure hunt approach to teaching kids how to identify the different varieties of trees by the shape of their leaves.
- Plant trees in your yard, or do so as part of a community project.
- Encourage kids to petition their school or the community to plant more trees, or provide better care and protection for existing ones.
- Learn about rainforest issues and help kids participate in raising funds for programs that are actively working to protect these irreplaceable resources.
When a child celebrates Arbor Day with their parents throughout their childhood, it will likely become an important and valuable tradition that they will pass on to their own children.
Mopfrog is an eco-friendly cleaning company dedicated to protecting the environment through sustainable business practices. Our locations, such as, honor and celebrate Arbor Day and we hope that you will, too.