Keeping pesticides out of your home is easier during the winter months when the temperatures limit both human and insect activity. When summer rolls around, however, the proliferation of flying and crawling pests can be enough to weaken your resolve and make you seriously consider a trip down the insecticide aisle at the local home improvement store. Before you pick up that aerosol can, take a moment to learn a few simple tips that will help keep your home both pesticide and insect-free.
Redouble Efforts to Remove Insect Attractants
Although you are probably already keeping your kitchen clean, remember that crawling pests, like ants and cockroaches can make a meal out of the tiniest spill or crumb of food. Because thesethat can cause illness and make allergy symptoms worse, it is important to take extra measures to force them to go elsewhere for nourishment. This can be accomplished by:
- Do not leave pet food and water bowls out for extended periods of time.
- Making sure to never leave food uncovered on the table or counters.
- Using glass jars or airtight containers to store cereals, grains, sugars where insects cannot access them.
- Add a bay leaf to dry goods like flour, rice and other grains to repel pantry pets.
- Keeping a spray bottle filled with one part white vinegar to three parts water and using it to sanitize food prep areas and kitchen surfaces frequently throughout the day and before you retire for the night.
- Sweeping up food crumbs from the floor and wet mopping to remove sticky residue.
- Wiping the kitchen sink dry before retiring each night to remove excess water, which might provide a source of moisture roaches and ants.
- Leave the cleaning to the professionals. Schedule recurring cleanings from in order to keep your home naturally fresh and sparkling clean.
Create Insect Free Zones Around Windows and Doors
Houseflies, mosquitoes and many other common pests dislike the scents of lavender and mint. Use this information to create barriers that will repel insects without the use of harmful chemicals and pesticides by:
- Including potted varieties of mint on window sills to repel pests while adding minty freshness to your home.
- Adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to a spray bottle and using it to spritz window screens and door ways to repel houseflies and mosquitoes
Revise Fresh Produce Handling Techniques
To avoid troublesomefrom produce, store them safely in the fridge until needed. If you keep your fruit on the counter, check for ripening and decay since fruit flies detect the yeast produced by fermenting fruit. Remember to take the rinds and peels to the outdoor compost pile immediately or store them in the fridge or freezer until you can dispose of them.
By increasing the pressure on troublesome insects, you can relax and enjoy a pest and pesticide-free summer.